The Law Office Of Thomas Wallin
Call 888-900-0951 for a free case consultation
Read about our firm and attorneys Find out what you should do if you have been charged with a DUI Read some of our recent DUI case results Contact Us
Click here to find out why you should hire Thomas Wallin to represent your case If you have been charged with a DUI, click here to learn about your rights Click here to find out more about the DUI process and what to do next
Find answers to frequently asked DUI questions here

The DUI Process in Riverside

When can an officer legally pull someone over for DUI?

In Riverside County, there is a specific process that is followed regarding charges of driving under the influence (DUI). It all begins when an officer suspects a motorist to be driving while intoxicated. In order to avoid making an unlawful police stop, the officer must witness one or more patterns in the motorist's driving habits that make it highly probable that they are drunk. These patterns include:

  • Weaving
  • Driving too slow/too fast
  • Erratic braking
  • Ignoring traffic signs and signals

If there is significant evidence for the officer to suspect drunk driving, they may pull the driver over for further investigation.

Drunk Driving Arrests

The next step in the process would be to determine whether or not there are adequate grounds for a DUI arrest. The law enforcement officer will likely ask the motorist to submit to a series of field sobriety tests and/or a breath or blood test to determine whether or not they are intoxicated. Failure of any field sobriety tests, or a blood alcohol concentration (BAC) of .08% or more, could justify a DUI arrest if the results are true and not affected by other factors, such as medication or medical conditions.

Conviction and Expunction

After an arrest has been made, the alleged offender must not hesitate to retain legal counsel from a Riverside DUI attorney. With their lawyer's guidance and representation, their charges could be reduced or dismissed. If the individual is convicted of driving under the influence, they could face time in jail, a high fine, and license suspension. Penalties become more severe for multiple DUI convictions, as well as for cases of vehicular manslaughter. Nevertheless, if a person is granted probation for their DUI and successfully completes their term without violation, they could petition for an expunction and have their conviction sealed or "erased" from their record, freeing them from future job restrictions related to their criminal record.

I've been arrested for DUI. What do I do now?

The first thing you should do after being charged with DUI is to contact a defense lawyer. The Law Offices of Thomas Wallin has provided skilled representation for 15 years and has received the highest possible rating of 10/10 from Avvo® - one of the nation's most trusted lawyer rating services. If you are facing a DUI conviction in the Riverside area, contact our offices today for a free initial consultation.

Hire a Riverside DUI Lawyer

Once we have reviewed your case, an attorney from our firm could work with you personally and build a strong defense against your DUI charges. We may be able to uncover police misconduct or a faulty BAC test result and fight for a dismissal of your charges. Your initial case evaluation is free, so fill out our online evaluation form today or call us at 1-888-900-0951 for further information.

Areas of practice
DUI Defense
DMV Hearings
DUI Expungement
Field Sobriety Tests
First Time DUI
License Suspension
Multiple DUI
Out-of-State DUI
Underage DUI
Unlawful Police Stop
Vehicular Manslaughter
Contact Us
DUI Attorney in Riverside
Riverside Address:
3750 University Avenue
Suite 680
Riverside, CA 92501
Irvine Address:
8 Corporate Park
Suite 300
Irvine, CA. 92606
Redlands (San Bernardino County) Address:
1980 Orange Tree Lane
Suite 260
Redlands, CA. 92374
San Bernardino Address:
198 North Arrowhead Ave.
Suite 21
San Bernardino, CA 92408
Attorney Web Design The information on this website is for general information purposes only. Nothing on this site should be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation. This information is not intended to create, and receipt or viewing does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship.
Phone:(888) 900-0951