The Law Office Of Thomas Wallin
Call 888-900-0951 for a free case consultation
Read about our firm and attorneys Find out what you should do if you have been charged with a DUI Read some of our recent DUI case results Contact Us
Click here to find out why you should hire Thomas Wallin to represent your case If you have been charged with a DUI, click here to learn about your rights Click here to find out more about the DUI process and what to do next
Find answers to frequently asked DUI questions here

DUI Frequently Asked Questions

I was just arrested for DUI in Riverside County. What do I need to do?
When arrested for DUI, it's important to collect all the facts surrounding your arrest in Riverside County. Make notes as to exactly what was said by the officers during the stop and exactly what you said to the officers. Make sure you make a list of any potential witnesses to your DUI stop and to your drinking prior to the arrest. Get all your paperwork together, including your citation, pink notice of suspension, temporary driver's license DMV Form DS-367, as well as any other documents given to you by the police. Also, you should contact a Riverside DUI attorney immediately to help you request a DMV hearing, because you only have 10 days to do so!

Why was I given a DUI court date and a DMV notice?
The DMV and the DUI criminal court hearings are two separate processes. You need to fight both cases. Unfortunately, just because you win one of the hearings does not mean you will necessarily win in the other. This is why it is important to hire a Riverside DUI attorney who can fight both the DMV and the criminal courts to save your license and keep you out of jail.

Do I have to go to court if I hire a DUI attorney to handle my case?
In most cases when you hire a DUI lawyer, that attorney can appear for you in court and save you the time and embarrassment of having to do so yourself. However, if you are being charged with a felony DUI, you need to be personally present for all of your court appearances in Riverside County.

What defenses are there in DUI cases?
There are numerous defenses in Riverside DUI cases because driving under the influence is a very complex legal area. This is why it is critical that you hire an attorney who has extensive experience handling drunk driving cases in Riverside County. Here are just a few examples of DUI defenses:

  • Probable Cause - Your arresting officer must have probable cause to:
  • Stop you;
  • Detain you (the officer must show he or she had a legitimate reason to detain you for a period of time); and
  • Arrest you (evidence can be suppressed if we are able to show the officer in your drunk driving case did not follow the law; sobriety check points and DUI roadblocks can present complex issues)
  • Driving Issues - The prosecution must prove that the defendant was actually "driving" the vehicle and, at the time of driving, the defendant was under the influence. For example, if you were sleeping in the vehicle or if the officer comes to your residence after you already arrived home, you may have a workable defense.
  • "Under the Influence" - An officer may be mistaken as to his or her observations of you while administering the field sobriety tests and thus can be discredited in court. Often the officer is not properly trained in administering field sobriety tests or chemical tests, which can help to invalidate results.
  • "BAC" or Blood-Alcohol Concentration Result - There are numerous problems associated with the testing procedures and the machines themselves. The smallest error can produce significant differences in results, giving your attorney a good argument for your defense.
  • Regulation of the DUI equipment - The prosecution carries with it the burden of showing that the instruments used to test your blood alcohol concentration (BAC) complied with the California state regulations for DUI calibration. If they cannot prove that burden, your DUI attorney may have a good argument in your favor.
  • "Rising BAC" - It is unlawful to have an excessive BAC (blood alcohol concentration) at the time of driving, not at the time of being tested. It takes anywhere from thirty minutes to three hours for alcohol to be absorbed into your blood and therefore potentially impair your driving. Often a test is not given until 30 minutes to 2 hours after the time of driving. You could show a BAC test result of .10 and actually have only been a .07 at the time you were driving your car.
  • Miranda Rights - Depending on the facts, any statements made by you after the officer should have given you your Miranda Warning could be excluded from the case.
  • Refusal to Test - Officers often do not give proper advisements as to the consequences of refusing a chemical test. If the officer did not tell you about the consequences of refusing the BAC tests, or gave the instruction improperly, this may invalidate a DMV license suspension.

For more information on possible defenses to a DUI, please fill out our free online case analysis form and a DUI lawyer will contact you.

What can I expect to pay for a DUI attorney in Riverside County?
The cost of a DUI attorney in Riverside can vary greatly depending on the attorney's reputation, experience, and the geographic location of your case. Much like doctors, a more skilled attorney in a larger city will charge a higher fee. When seeking a DUI attorney, you must consider the time a lawyer will put into your individual case. Generally speaking, lawyers who take fewer cases spend more hours on each client, and will therefore charge more.

In Riverside County, there is a wide range of fees. A local general practitioner with little experience can charge as little as $1,000, while some DUI specialists known throughout the country can charge as much as $20,000 or more, depending on the case. Other factors that may contribute to the cost of a DUI attorney include:

  • Whether this your first offense or you have prior offenses
  • Will any motions need to be made? Will there be a trial?
  • Do you need representation in your DMV hearing?
  • Have you been charged with a felony?
  • Are their enhancements alleged in the DUI case (see below)?

Whatever fee is quoted by an attorney, make sure that you sign a written agreement and that you understand what is and is not covered by the representation.

What will happen to me if I am convicted of a DUI in Riverside County?
This depends on whether you are facing a first offense or a subsequent offense, as well as whether any enhancements are considered (see below). However, in most cases involving a first offense in Riverside County, you will have to attend a DUI driving school, pay a fine to the court (about $1,500), be placed on unsupervised probation for a period of three years, and possibly attend a work program (not actual jail).

What is a sentence enhancement?
A DUI in California can have several "enhancements" depending on whether certain facts exist. The most obvious and common enhancement is for a prior conviction. Other enhancements, which most likely will be included in the complaint filed against you by the Riverside District Attorney, include:

  • Excessive speeding (20 to 30 miles over the speed limit)
  • A person under the age of 14 was in the car
  • The defendant's BAC was .20 or higher
  • The defendant refused a chemical test
  • There was an accident
  • Someone was injured
  • The defendant was under 21
Areas of practice
DUI Defense
DMV Hearings
DUI Expungement
Field Sobriety Tests
First Time DUI
License Suspension
Multiple DUI
Out-of-State DUI
Underage DUI
Unlawful Police Stop
Vehicular Manslaughter
Contact Us
DUI Attorney in Riverside
Riverside Address:
3750 University Avenue
Suite 680
Riverside, CA 92501
Irvine Address:
8 Corporate Park
Suite 300
Irvine, CA. 92606
Redlands (San Bernardino County) Address:
1980 Orange Tree Lane
Suite 260
Redlands, CA. 92374
San Bernardino Address:
198 North Arrowhead Ave.
Suite 21
San Bernardino, CA 92408
Attorney Web Design The information on this website is for general information purposes only. Nothing on this site should be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation. This information is not intended to create, and receipt or viewing does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship.
Phone:(888) 900-0951